There are various things that make a teacher a good teacher. In high school most of my teachers did a great job. Unfortunately I also had some stinkers who really hampered my academic development. It was the bad teachers who made me really appreciate the good teachers. Here are the main qualities of good teachers:
- They stick to the syllabus – there is nothing worse than a teacher who goes off on random tangents and doesn’t teach you what they’re supposed to. Every now and again we get that space cadet teacher who does whatever they want. They may think that they are a brilliant but their lack of discipline means you do not have the right knowledge for the next examination.
- They explain things really clearly – there is nothing worse than a teacher who does not help the student out. They are unable to teach something new because they don’t really teach. They kind of assume that the student is going to somehow teach themselves. At times students really get left behind. Some teachers do not have the students in mind and just keep teaching without any consideration. This is no good but it is common with lazy teachers.
- They have passion – good teachers have passion for life, their students and their classes. They really have an invested interest in what they are doing. It is not just teaching for teaching’s sake. They are professional and what to really see results. This is something that not all teachers have but you can really pick up on it when you’re a student. It always makes the classes that much better.\
- They are effective communicators – good teachers really know how to interact with the class. That is they are able to ensure that they follow as they teach. That every student is listening to the teacher and engaged in what they are doing. This way the students are able to get more and more involved in the class. The teacher will have better control of the class this way.
- They are more of a facilitator – the best teachers are those that run a class more as a facilitator than a dictator. This means that the students more or less are running the show in a constructive way amongst themselves. The teacher is still controlling the class but they have handed a lot more control over to the students. It is often really the most experienced teachers who are able to achieve this.
- They have great body language – this goes without saying but it is really important. A teacher has to really present themselves well. Only this way can they hope to have more respect from the students. Most people agree that body language is the most important part to communication. There is no doubt about it that it is.
- They have a great energy – a lot of people would say that it is important to have high energy but I disagree. It is most important to have a good energy. That is an energy that inspires the students and commands their interest and respect.
- They have to be able to enforce discipline – It is no good that these days schools do not focus enough on order. A lot of students in the classroom are totally out of control and all over the place. You can blame this on a lot of different things. For whatever reason over time we have left the focus on order slip in the classroom. It is a shame because order needs to be maintained at any cost. As soon as you lose order you’ve lost the class and you cannot teach effectively. Any good teacher knows the importance of never losing control.
- The teacher has clarity – this ties in with communication. The teacher must be able to express things clearly that they know makes sense in the student’s mind. This means they have planned the lesson well and in their speech everything follows a good logical order. It is no good when the students are left confused without any idea of what is going on.
- They are well liked – let’s face it a good teacher needs to have a likable personality. This way the students will have more respect for them. This ties in with many things but generally teachers that are well liked are also respected. There are many reasons why a teacher is more liked than another teacher. It mainly boils down to their personality. Students that are popular will generally garner a little bit more respect from the students.
So there you have it. That is the definitive list. I am sure there are many more important points. It can’t be denied that good teachers are crucial. A bad teacher can be the difference between a student failing or excelling in a subject. It should also be noted to that some students do better under certain teaching styles.